Saturday, August 9, 2008

Buy everybody in Orlando their own A-10 Thunderbolt

For the price of the Iraq War, we could've bought each resident of Orlando, Florida, their own military attack aircraft.

The population of Orlando is 227,907. The heavily armored A-10 Thunderbolt, used by the Air Force against tanks and other ground targets, costs $11.7 million. Equipping each resident of Orlando with their own A-10 Thunderbolt would cost $2.67 trillion, which is less than Joseph Stiglitz and Linda Bilmes' estimate of over $3 trillion for the cost of the Iraq War.

11 comments:

Adam said...

Alex Rodriguez is currently the highest-paid player in Major League Baseball (and, I believe, in all of American sports). His contract has an average annual value of $25 million.

For $3 trillion, you could sign A-Rod to a 120,000-year contract extension at that same $25 million per year.

Daniel said...

This is the worst idea since your helium hi-jinks, Neil.

But still, a better idea than the Iraq War.

Neil Sinhababu said...

Yeah, after djw's comment on the previous post I started thinking up disastrous ways to spend the money.

Max Kingsbury said...

227,907 * 11,700,000 = 2,666,511,900,000

trillion

Neil Sinhababu said...

Is something wrong with the math, Max? That all seems right to me.

Aaron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron said...

Max's math is fine. Yours is off by a factor of 10^3, or two letters.

Neil Sinhababu said...

Well, as far as I can tell, my math and max's math are the same.

Aaron said...

As far as I can tell, Max wrote trillion, whereas you wrote billion.

Neil Sinhababu said...

Oh, right, fixed. I meant 'trillion' so I didn't even realize that I'd written it wrong.

Aaron said...

Happens to the best of us. By which I mean you.